Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Grass is Always Greener



You know what I am talking about. You look at your life. Your hopes, your dreams, your successes, and your failures all laid out on the table. Then you find yourself looking over the fence. Maybe it is your sister, your brother, your best friend, or the neighbors whose fence you glance over. The grass is lush and green. You think to yourself why? Why do they have the house of my dreams, the job I always wanted, husband, children, car, etc? Isn't it exhausting to want what you don't have? All that time spent on wishful thinking!

Look to God's word and you will find that he too agrees that this is not a healthy habit:
Exodus 20:17 "You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."
God wants you to know that the grass may not be greener on the other side. Life may not be better just over the fence, and all that energy that you put into wanting something that you don't have is wasted. You waste your talents and your time wanting the blessings that God has provided to someone else.


Let me paint a picture for you. Just over the fence lives a family with 3 kids. They have a beautiful house, a dog, and new cars. They both have jobs and in this economy that is saying something. They have smiles on their faces and wave to you over the fence. They wear nice clothing and their children are well behaved. The husband is very attuned to his wife. He opens doors, carries groceries, and can be seen smiling lovingly at her. He plays ball in the backyard with his kids, and she bakes pies and cookies weekly. Sounds like the perfect family. I bet you could easily find a piece of their life that you want in your own life.

However, when they go inside their house and the doors are closed their life is very different. What you don't know about this family all the little things beneath the surface, those are the things that shape who they are. Every person on this earth experiences both blessings and hardships. God created this life so that we could truly appreciate the amazing joy of what awaits us in heaven.

God gives us an abundance of blessings. Each moment, day, and hour is blessing from above. He designs each blessing with you in mind because he knows you as no one else knows you. God knows every deep secret of your heart, and he loves you despite all your faults. Psalm 139 says:
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

His plan is so much greater than you can imagine. He formed you in his image. He created you to do great things. You were created for a task that no other person can fulfill. Whether the task is mighty or small it is a task that God chose for you. He hand selected each and every blessing you receive and he will be with you through everything you experience in your life, so don't look over the fence. Instead, look onward, move forward, and most of all trust God to lead you.

There is a saying one man's garbage is another man's treasure. Have you ever thought one man's blessing is another man's hardship. God knows what we can do, who we are, and how much we can handle. He will never give you a task to great, nor too little. And most of all, he will never abandon or desert you in your time of need. Even as Jesus carried the cross God was with him, and when it became to heavy God provided someone to help.
Matthew 27:32
32As they were going out, they met a man from Cyrene, named Simon, and they forced him to carry the cross.
There will be so many Simon's in your life. God will send them when you least expect it, and they will help you along the way. Just like Simon you too may find yourself lightening the burden on someone's shoulders. Take blessings and hardships in stride, trust in the Lord and he will lead you home.
"Walk On Water"

Simon Peter won't you put those nets down
follow me I'll lead you out of this town
to a place where no boat has ever been
I will make you a fisher of men

Jesus walked out on the water
said take courage it is me
Peter trusted and he wanted to go farther
so he stepped out on the sea

If I keep my eyes on Jesus I can walk on water
If I keep my eyes on Jesus I can walk on water

1 comment: