Sunday, April 19, 2009

Breathless


There are moments in life that take our breath away. The birth of a child, the death of a loved one, a wedding, and the list goes on and on. So many of them are to be expected, but what about the moments you don't expect. The moments that take your breath away and steal your heart. They are so unexpected that when they happen your heart melts.


My daughter loves it when I take naps with her. She cuddles up and falls asleep with me next to her. Often I wake up to find her little arm draped across my face. When she is asleep she is so quiet and angelic compared to the busy little singer who runs from room to room making up a world of songs that fill the air.

"There was never a child so lovely, but his mother was glad to get him to sleep."

Today she begged me, mommy come take a nap with me. There are so many things that need to be done. Our dishwasher is broken. I am worrying about work and wondering about the week ahead. The house is messy, the flowerbeds need to be planted, the laundry is piling up, and the only thing my daughter wants is to cuddle up with mommy.

Of course I am too busy, so like any mother I tell her go lay down and I will join you later. Soon I am in the midst of cleaning and sorting. Before too long I reach my bedroom and begin making up the bed, but my pillow is missing. It is not on the bed or even in the room. A quick search reveals that it is neatly laid on my daughter's bed, next to her own pillow. She has nestled up next to it. Waiting and trusting that mommy will come. She trusts because what in the world could be more important than cuddling with her?

Ask yourself a simple question. Really think about it. Do you remember the day that your babies were born? Was it so long ago? Ask your own mother or grandmother that question and you will be surprised to hear it seems like yesterday. A yesterday that can be filled with warm and cuddly memories, or regrets that there was never enough time. Tomorrow is soon enough to do the laundry, tomorrow the dishes will still be waiting, tomorrow the garden will still be there, but in not too many tomorrows the little girl will be all grown up. So for today, the washing will wait, and for today I will treasure the child who tomorrow will be all grown up.


So if you ask me what my plans for this afternoon are, don't be surprised to hear, that I will be napping. The pillow has been prepared for me, and there is someone very special waiting for me. The covers will not reach my toes, and I may have to kick out a stuffed bear or two to make room, but there is no place I'd rather be!

Count your blessings one by one, and forget your sorrows. Remember the bible says to have faith like a child.

My daughter knows that I have so much to do, but because I promised I would snuggle, she has the faith that I will. God is so busy, but somehow he keeps all his promises. He always comes. He will always find the time, but will he find that you are prepared for him?

1 comment: