Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Are you invisible?


Sometimes I feel like screaming. I wonder if I just stood in the middle of a crowded room and screamed would people see me? We all know the answer, of course not. People would see a crazy screaming woman.

Seriously though, what do you have to do to get noticed? To be something more than invisible. Did you know that I live in a community of just under 60,000 people, a fairly small town. Of those people 30,000 are female, of those females 9,000 are approximately my age. Statistics are a funny thing. We can use them to outline data, to explain and reason, but in the end being a number is very lonely. I recently applied for a job, not even a high paying job. Surprisingly enough I was one of 108. Of course that data I choose not to analyze, because statistically speaking the odds are...............

How do you stand out in the crowd, are you invisible? What is it like to be invisible? Are we all so caught up in ourselves that we don't see each other? I look at some of the people I work with. Some I like and some I don't and I wonder: What are they thinking or feeling? Are they okay, or even better off? Sure they have a job, but will it make them happy? I know mine didn't, and the absence of a job while stressful is better than not truly loving what I do.

I would love some statistics. How many of those 9,000 are happy? How many feel invisible? How many are even employed?

In the end I realize life is what you make it. You choose, you can be as invisible as you want to be. Granted there are better ways to gain attention then standing in a crowded room and screaming. I personally recommend reaching out. Because if you feel invisible, then I bet you know someone who feels the same way. All you have to do is reach out and you will make a difference. Then for a magical moment in time you will not be invisible, but will become something more. We are all capable of great things, but sometimes its the little things that we do that make us heroes. I dare you to reach out, and if you really want a challenge reach out to someone you don't like.
Matthew 5:44
But I tell you love thy enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment