Monday, October 17, 2011

well that's just not fair

I think we should take a minute and look at all the unfairness in the world. I know with Occupy Wallstreet, the economy, and the media's fixation on it; we hear this term an awful lot. Honestly I get it. It's not fair that people can live on welfare, but I have to work. It's not fair that some people get food stamps, but I buy my groceries. It's not fair that there are people in our country who don't pay the $1,000 or more that most of us pay for child care. Most of all it is not fair that I take a drug test to be employed and pay into a fund that pays for all of this, and yet these people are not drug tested or even always legally here in the US.

On the other hand it is not fair that I make the salary that I make while some big banker, doctor, lawyer, sports star, or politician gets to bring home 2-5x my salary. Its not fair that they live in a big house; even though they paid for that house with their money. It's not fair that they get to have nice things and go on nice vacations that I cannot afford. It really isn't fair that some people have wonderful health benefits while others have none.


I guess I have to agree it's just all so unfair, that I am upset. In fact if I sit and dwell on it I might get even more upset. So who do I complain to? Should I protest in the street? Should I turn to God? Where should you put in your two cents at all this unfairness? Lets stop a minute in our quest for fairness, and ask an important question. Do I really want life to be fair?

If everyone has the same amount of money that means no one can be rich. So what would I work hard for? If everyone has the same everything how would I be different? Sure it would be fair, but would it make me happier? What would this do to the American dream? What does this mean in light of what I believe about God? What does the bible say about fairness?
Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Not one person is good enough. In all fairness we fall short, and we deserve nothing. If God were fair he would look at us and say you don't measure up. My standards are high and you my friend fall short. Look at your own life are you good enough for heaven? Have you ever lied, stolen, had angry hate filled thoughts, looked lustfully at a woman. If you have lied you are a liar. If you have stolen you are a thief. Hating someone is as bad as committing murder. John 3:15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. Looking lustfully at a women is as bad as committing adultery. Matthew 5:28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. Now that you have examined your heart how do you feel you measure up? Would it be fair to say you don't measure up? Would it be fair to say the standards are set and you can't walk through those gates. Thank God that he sees better than to treat us fairly.
Romans 5: 12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned—
Death is what we deserve. Death would be fair. We don't deserve anything eternal. Our works could never be enough.
Romans 5: 15 But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man’s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. A pretty powerful gift. Something undeserved, and unfair. Offered freely to all who will accept it. Whether you or I deserve it or not. God gave us life. Not only did he give us life. He gave it through his son. He allowed his son to experience pain and death so you and I might have life.

So I guess in the end life isn't fair and I am so glad it's not. Because if life were fair I wouldn't get the most amazing gift of all. The gift I could never earn. The gift I could never pay for. The gift I would never be worthy of. A gift that will last longer than this short lifetime. I hope the next time you are pondering fairness you will remember to be thankful for unfairness!
Charmaine Not Fair
Why do You love me, why are You here?
You know my intentions, are never sincere
My heart is unfaithful, I'll do it again
But Your words are like fire that burns through my skin, and it's

Not fair
It's not fair
It's so not fair
How You love me
You love me
You so love me
And it don't seem right, that Your love has never been fair

I've covered the Basis, I know who I am
I've chased every treassure still covered in rags
I'm a thief and a liar, my names in the sand
But that doesn't phase You, You pull me back in and it's

1 comment:

  1. That was nice to read, thank you, Maria. :) xoxox

    ReplyDelete