Thursday, May 31, 2012

A verse for this year.....

Isaiah 43: 18-19 Do not remember the former things, Nor consider the things of old.19 Behold, I will do a new thing, Now it shall spring forth; Shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness And rivers in the desert. 


This year has been a change for us. So many new things in our lives and so many old things that are changing. It is not that we don't welcome the new beginnings, but more that the unknown is so scary. I think that fear is the greatest factor in keeping so many Christians from answering God's call. I am often reminded of my pastor Craig Groeschel's teaching: delayed obedience is disobedience. 


Just think of your children, if you were to say sweetie I'm going to need you to go to bed  now, and your child were to delay what would you do. You would firmly assert your will in the matter forcing your child to go to bed. It might take you longer with them fighting you, but eventually you would accomplish the task of getting them to sleep. Of course we all know that children need a good night's sleep, and you are doing what is best for them.


Well this is a good analogy of where God is in your life when you delay obedience. He knows what is best, he has a plan for you, but you have the free will. I believe God gets you there even when you make all the wrong choices. Jeremiah 29:11  For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. He plans to give you hope, to give you a future, and most of all to prosper you. God has planned something good. So why is it so scary to obey him? Romans 8: 28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. In all things he is working for our good. His plans are big; don't you want to be a part of them?

I know that I do, but I also find myself wondering and looking to the past. Hence, my verse for this year. God led me to the book of Isaiah, and there in chapter 43 the words jumped from the page at me. Forget the things of old. Forget your past, the mistakes you have made, and the things you have lost. Today is the beginning of something new. It's time to put one foot in front of the other. Listen to what God is asking you to do. Don't delay he is making a road in the wilderness of your life. As the living water springs forth in the dessert it's time to answer his call.

You make beautiful things


No comments:

Post a Comment