Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bold Obediance



Being obedient to God is very important, but scary. Acts 5: 19-20 But at night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out, and said, 20 “Go, stand in the temple and speak to the people all the words of this life.
Picture it you were thrown in jail for speaking to the people. Your life has been threatened and you know that you are in a bit of a bind because of the way you have been preaching. An angel has come to you freeing you from prison, but told you to continue on the path that got you into trouble. What would you do?
Acts 5: 21 So at daybreak the apostles entered the Temple, as they were told, and immediately began teaching.
Bold Obedience requires faith. The disciples had to have faith enough to face going straight back to jail. They had to have faith enough in God to do exactly what they were told not to do. Notice they did it at daybreak. They didn't wait till noon, or the next day. Delayed obedience is disobedience.

Imagine saying to God, "Yeah I know you told me to preach your word, but I think I will go play golf today. Tomorrow it's going to rain so that will work better for me. You understand right God?" What do you think God would say?

Or maybe I'll just kind of obey. If I go early enough in the morning no one will be there and if no one is there then I can leave right? Partial obedience is still disobedience. The disciples knew this, and so they didn't partially obey.

I can tell you for a fact that when you are obedient to God people will question you. You will face opposition. Sometimes people you trust will break your trust. Those who love you will stand against you. They will question you when you are following God. I know this because I have experienced it.

When I tell people God brought us to Oklahoma I sometimes get funny looks. Often people question me. Why Oklahoma? I don't know why Oklahoma. God didn't tell me his entire plan. If he had revealed it to me it probably would have been too frightening. It really doesn't matter to me why God chose Oklahoma. The results are amazing. It transformed our lives one step in faith at a time. First we had jobs. Then we found an amazing church. Next we discovered lifegroup and forged a bond of friendship. Step by step life has changed. I can't say where the road leads tomorrow, but I know that the blessings along it are nothing short of a miracle. I can also say without a doubt that had I partially followed God, or not gone at all my life would not be the same. When you walk in obedience with God you are blessed. God uses you to bless others, and there will be miracles.

Question me anytime in my obedience to God. I am not ashamed to say I trust him and even though it didn't make sense and sounded crazy I was willing to go where he led. Are you willing to go? Are you answering his call? Are you obedient?
Where you go, I'll go
Where you stay, I'll stay
When you move, I'll move
I will follow...

All your ways are good
All your ways are sure
I will trust in you alone
Higher than my side
High above my life
I will trust in you alone

Where you go, I'll go
Where you stay, I'll stay
When you move, I'll move
I will follow you
Who you love, I'll love
How you serve I'll serve
If this life I lose, I will follow you
I will follow you

Light unto the world
Light unto my life
I will live for you alone
You're the one I seek
Knowing I will find
All I need in you alone, in you alone

In you there's life everlasting
In you there's freedom for my soul
In you there joy, unending joy
and I will follow

No comments:

Post a Comment