Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Things that Amaze me


There are parents out there who have never had a baby in the NICU. Parents who have never had a child who has had an MRI, CAT SCAN, EEG, or even a blood test. There are parents out there who take for granted everyday how blessed they are. Am I jealous? Absolutely not!


Why you ask? Because I am a parent whose children have never undergone open heart surgery. My children have not had chemotherapy. I have never watched my child fight to breath, or live. I have never held my baby in my arms for the last time.

It amazes me how blessed I am. How blessed you are................

Now let me tell you about my day. For an EEG Xavier was allowed 3 hours of sleep. The sleep must be in the middle of the night with no naps after. We were scheduled for a 1:00 EEG. So at 3 AM he went to bed and at 6 AM we were up and running! Literally he ran all day everywhere! We spent the morning and most of the night watching one movie after another. I hate it, but tv was the only guarantee he would stay awake. Hailey woke up in the middle of the night and was fussy so that kind of interrupted our 3 hours of sleep! At 12:00 we headed to the hospital to find out that while we were plenty early the doctor's office had not authorized the EEG with insurance. Oh yeah did I mention the whole office was out to lunch! The lady at the hospital went all the way up to administration pulling strings, but when it came down to it they could not seem to get the woman in charge of sending the paperwork off excited about calling. She said she would call the next day. Now of course at this point I am about to unravel! I can't go without sleep again, and I have had a bit too much coffee so..................... I took the phone and spoke my mind. I did not cuss, but I was not kind. When I was done she agreed to call the insurance company. My insurance company was amazing they managed an approval and got it all faxed over in 20 minutes. With 1 minute left till they could no longer fit us in they ran us up to the EEG floor!

I was soo grateful I could have cried. We got the EEG done without tears and readjusting wires! He hates the wires and has trouble sleeping when they are behind his ears! I had to go pee the whole time and thought I might pee my pants! Seriously too much coffee and no time for the toilet because of all the crazy stuff!!! We don't know the results yet, but every EEG reminds me how blessed I am.

It doesn't matter if you have perfectly healthy children, or children who drive you crazy with all their medicines and tests each day is a gift from God. Don't forget they will grow up before you know it!
Laura Story

We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love is way too much to give us lesser things

‘Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt your goodness, we doubt your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we’d have faith to believe

When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know that pain reminds this heart
That this is not our home

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
What if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are your mercies in disguise



2 comments:

  1. Thank you Maria. Your post are always encouraging. I will be praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed we are blessed with SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete