Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What can’t you trust God with?


Matthew 17:20 He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

Luke 17:6 He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.

It’s the question that really drives who you are. Maybe you aren’t even aware of it. The number one thing that drives a wedge between you and God is your fear. Fear is the motivator causing us to make bad choices. Fear will rob you of your peace today, tomorrow, and for eternity. The question is if you really truly are fully surrendered to Christ what do you have to fear?

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

God is perfect love. There’s no room for your fear. In fact he wants you to let it go. Often we cling most tightly to the things we are afraid to let him have. It is freeing to let go of your fears. It is also very enlightening to think about what you are afraid of to let go. What don’t you trust God with?

For me money is a hard thing to trust God with. I can give you a hundred reasons not to tithe, but I can give you a thousand more on why you should. God’s blessings are bigger than what you fear will happen. If you trust him in the little things; he will trust you with the big things.

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6

There is a funny story I have heard about tithing:

A family was leaving church one Sunday, the man says to his wife, “That wasn’t much of sermon that preacher gave.” The wife then adds, “Yea, and the choir sang off key.” Meanwhile, their small son has been listening to his parents’ conversation. Finally, he speaks up, “It seemed all right to me,” he says, “especially considering that it only cost us a dollar!”

When I think about tithing I am reminded of this verse: Matthew 25:23 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’ I want a share of the happiness of God. I have heard the prosperity preaching and honestly I don’t believe it, but I have seen what God does with that money. He builds churches. He finds the lost and saves them. He heals the sick and feeds the hungry. With my little contribution God does so much more than I can do. I am lucky and blessed that I get to be a part of it all. Imagine what would have happened had I given into my fear. No God, I won’t trust you with this!

Irrational dreams are a God thing. As we grow up we realize that having dreams that seem impossible may be illogical. There is a reason Jesus said: Mark 10:15 Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.” You see as we grow we lose some of our imagination, a little bit of our faith, and gain fear. Most children have very few fears. They are quick to love and trust. They dream big, love big, and live life to the fullest.

Is your dream irrational enough? The faith of children is what God seeks. Do you have enough?

This week I urge you to make a list of all the things you are afraid will happen. Write it down on paper. Take that list and stick it inside your bible. Then I want you to read that list every day this week before you begin your daily reading. See what God shows you about your fears. I promise you that whatever he shows you will be so much better than what you imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment