Thursday, March 15, 2012

The why of my blogging

In response to some of my most recent blog responders, who knew so many people cared about what I think?

Why I write my blog:

1. This is entirely for me. It started out as my wanting to share photos, however facebook really does that for me now. At the time my life was so full of anger and frustration that I felt the need for an outlet and so I started thinking out loud. So for those of you who believe my blog is directed at you, sorry but I probably didn’t even know you were reading unless you are a follower. Even then I figure you are like me and only read 1 out of 100 blogs you follow. I’m honored that you read it, but I didn’t write it for you.

2. I write my blog because I am reflecting on something. Sometimes the idea I am stirring around is a difficult concept. Sometimes I am uplifted and want to share. Other times I am discouraged and need to put that on paper. If you get something out of reading it I think that’s great.

Who I am:

In telling you why I write my blog you should also know some background on who I am; because it may help you understand and not have to send me oddly cryptic messages about my blog.

I am a mother of 4 children living in the changing political climate of the United States. I was raised in a very rural area, but live in a larger city. I am a teacher, a Christian, and a wife.

I’m also a numbers gal! I love statistics and math. I am constantly reading research on everything. I find statistics about stuff from garbage to coffee consumption fascinating. I have a strong background in psychology so as I look at those numbers I often see the correlational trends and from time to time will blog about them. Now I could probably blog all day about numbers or correlation, but the one thing you need to know is that I don’t always believe the statistics. In fact I could go into a whole blog about how we get statistics and if they are valid. In all true statistics we have to take into account both the outliers and the method used to express the average: mean, median, mode, or range…………… If you aren’t bored by the numbers yet bear with me. To truly analyze stats you need to know the size of the sampling group, duration of a study, and what means they used for finding their stats. I read these studies and even sometimes double check the math. Like I said numbers geek here! When I find something,cool or uncool, depending on your opinion. I blog about it.

Now the final reason why my blog is mine and may be not for all readers is prior knowledge. Reading research tells us that the big predictor for reading success in comprehension is the amount of prior knowledge a student has on this issue. Additionally testing bias most often is due to test creator’s not sharing prior knowledge with those a test was intended for. I have not lived your life so I do not have your prior knowledge. What I relate to is based on my prior knowledge. You and I may not even fit into the same age, sex, religious, ethnic, or socioeconomic demographic. The more breadth between our demographic the more likely we will not share common views because our prior knowledge will prevent us from relating in the same manner.

The best way I can explain this one is: Drug addicts understand drug addiction in a way I could never understand it having not been a drug addict. As a counselor of someone with a drug addiction many of the issues that they coped with would be outside of what I relate to. Often the best counselors for those coping with these addictions come from a background where they lived it. Their prior knowledge helps them to help others.


I'm not directing what I say to anyone else. If you find my words a blessing that's wonderful. If you don't agree with them; that's find with me. Just want you to know nothing I wrote before this post today was written for anyone but me.

No comments:

Post a Comment