Thursday, March 17, 2011

Gifts of Misery




Misery loves Company:

What does that really mean? I think it is important that we all really think about this. For some of us misery is what we choose. It's like a strong tea. First you add a situation that irks you, the tea bag. Then you add water, your complaints, your thoughts, and your fears. Next you heat it all up, usually by sharing with others, and let it stew! Voila misery tea and there is probably enough to go around!

Complaining makes you miserable. Comparing robs your life of its joy. Misery is all about comparing and complaining. Today is not Tomorrow. Today is not yesterday. Today is a gift. The resources, the job, the stress, and everything in between is a GIFT. His gift to you. When you complain and act miserable you are complaining about the gifts God has given you.

Have you ever shopped for the perfect gift for someone, wrapped it with care, and waited impatiently to see their joy when they opened it. The day comes you hand them the gift, they open it, and they toss it aside. They don't want it, like it, and are not grateful. All your joy is stripped away in that moment when they toss aside what you had so carefully planned for them.

Look at some of the gifts God has given us:
John 3: 16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Ephesians 2: 8
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—
John 1:12
Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—
Acts 2:38
Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Do not turn away from the gifts that were so carefully selected for you. These gifts may cause you trials. These gifts may cause you pain. Zechariah 13:9 This third I will put into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’” He will refine you because you are one of his people. You are imperfect, a sinner. God never said following him would be easy, but the reward is eternal. Just like us, God is hurt when we turn away from his gifts. Don't turn away from what he has planned for you. If you turn away you will miss out on all his blessings too!

Audio Adrenaline put it best in their song Walk on Water
Just like Peter I want to go farther; tread on the sea and walk on the water; step where he steps and go where he goes, side by side when the sea billows roll. I'll be alright when the wind comes. I'll be alright when the waves come crashing. I'm not afraid, for this is my father's world.

If I keep my eyes on Jesus I can walk on water. If I keep my eyes on Jesus I can walk on water. If I keep my eyes on Jesus I can walk on water. If I keep my eyes on him I can walk on water.

1 comment:

  1. Good post! Thanks for the rebuke and encouragement-
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete