Thursday, March 10, 2011

THE WAY


THE WAY

I am reminded today of that Blues Brother’s quote. We’re on a mission from God. I want to shout, “hey me too.” Sometimes I see people in their Delorians headed off to change the future and I want to say, “Take me with you!” It isn’t that I want to necessarily go where they are going. I just don’t want to be left behind.

In recent months I have seen so many of my friends and colleagues accomplish great things. Some of them are getting their doctorates, or graduating from medical school. A few have accepted prestigious grants, or awards. I look around and I can outwardly see what they are doing. It is so evident the success they have achieved. Now don’t get me wrong I am not booing anyone’s achievement. In fact I am at the front of the crowd with tears in my eyes cheering for them. However, I sometimes sit back and think. I sometimes wonder what happened?

You see I was going to do some amazingly great things along the way too. However, God had a bigger plan for me. There are times when I look around reminiscing of all those dreams I had. There are times when I clap and cry knowing that some of my dreams may have passed me by. Not all of us achieve the greatness we expected to, but all of us achieve greatness. 2 Corinthians 4: 16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. I have not wasted away. I have not wasted one day, but in fact I have achieved a different greatness. The path I chose was not the path he chose for me. I was given one of two choices. Either I must leave the path and go on his way, or I could cling to the path and lose “The Way.”

I hear people say all the time that they have chosen something. I have chosen to pursue a career as…….Don’t worry this is my choice to leave this job…………..I have chosen to move on to this new chapter in my life…………….. I hear the resignation in some of their voices. I hear the deeper sorrow in what they are truly telling me. Dictionary.com defines resignation as: an accepting, unresisting attitude, state, etc.; submission; acquiescence: to meet one's fate with resignation. I think any action in resignation should be carefully thought out. What are we submitting to? Who are we not resisting? Is it this world? Are you submitting to what you believe is THE WAY, or are you submitting to what the world tells you is THE WAY? Unresisting, submission; I think not! I will not submit to this world! I will resist this world! I can stand steadfast! Proverbs 3: 5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. I will not resign because if I trust in my Lord he will take the road before me and make it straight.

A straight path sounds great, but sometimes we have to realize that only his path is straight. I cannot choose the path for myself because he chose it for me. Jeremiah 1: 5Before I made you in your mother's womb, I chose you. Before you were born, I set you apart for a special work. I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."He chose my path before I was born. If I follow the path he chose he will make it straight. God will lead me through the good times and the bad. God will renew in me my heart day by day. With each step I take, I must submit to him. Do not resign, do not submit to this world. Do not allow others to tell you that it is okay when you know God’s plan says otherwise. Silence your words of resignation. The only will we are to submit to is the will of our Lord. Without God we will fail. Every path, every dream, every marriage, everything…………… Isaiah 40: 31 31 But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

Sometimes other people will achieve greatness before us. Sometimes we will watch them and wonder, “Why not me?” There will be times of hardship along the way, but if we wait on the Lord he will lead us to the path. He will help us to run, to fly, to walk, and to never grow weary! He is our strength and our song! Remember the caterpillar. This little bug that knits itself a cocoon. Day after day it waits in that cocoon as God makes it into something new. Finally when the moment is right the butterfly emerges and spreads its wings, and it is beautiful. The butterfly is God’s amazing and beautiful creation, just like you. Matthew 6: 33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

I have achieved greatness in the eyes of my God. Everything I do is great because I walk his path. God must come first in your life and everything else second. Your job is not more important than your God. Your spouse is not more important than your God. Your children are not more important than your God. GOD is the Alpha and the Omega! He is the ONE and he must be number one! When you place other things or people above God in your life you will feel empty. You will be like a jar with a crack. God will fill you with his living water, but it will all leak. You will find yourself alone in the desert with nothing to drink. If you put God first he will fix what is broken, and then you can fly. 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Downhere: note, you can click on the band’s name to be redirected to youtube and listen to the song!

Sometimes your calling, comes in dream
Sometimes it comes in the Spirit's breeze,
You reach for the deepest part of me,
And call out for the things of eternity.
But I'm a man, of dust and stains,
You move in me, so I can say,

CHORUS:Here I am, Lord send me,
All of my life, I make an offering,
Here I am, Lord send me,Somehow my story, Is part of your plan,
Here I am
When setbacks and failures, and upset plans,Test my faith and leave me with empty hands,
Are you not the closest when it's hardest to stand?
I know that you will finish what you began.

These broken parts you redeem,
Become the song, that I can sing
(Chorus)

Overwhelmed by the thought of my weakness,
And the fear that I'll fail you in the end,
In this mess, I'm just one of the pieces,
I can't put this together but you can.


No comments:

Post a Comment