Sunday, March 13, 2011

What it really means to follow Christ


Here's a little trivia for you. The term Christian actually goes back to derogatory terms used for the followers of Christ. To be a Christian has many different meanings to different people.

Did you know Christ never called us to be Christians? Christ called us to follow him. The term Christian is of this world. Christ called us not to be Christians, but to be disciples. He wanted us to find a need and meet it. He called us to find a hurt and heal it.

Christ called us to be his hands and feet. So often people get tied up in what their religion tells them is the way. Many of us are so busy being Christians that we don't have time to follow Christ. There are churches that will tell you for any number of reasons that you are going to hell. They have traditions and rituals steeped in history. Every Sunday people reverently sit in their pews, pray, sing, and worship. However, this will not make you a fully devoted follower of Christ. I am not saying that in these churches there are not people who are fully devoted to following Christ. I am just saying that the ritual cannot stand in the way of the journey.

Everyday is an opportunity to follow Christ. To truly be a disciple. He simply asks that you not turn away from those around you who need you. If we see the world through his eyes it changes everything. His view of things is so much clearer than my own. Christ sees you and
I for who we are. He sees your anger and your fear. There is no mountain he cannot climb, no river he cannot cross, no ravine to deep.... He is always present and all we need to do is call on him.

Christ died for my sins, but he also died for the sins of those I do not like. He died for the sins of those I have not yet met. He died for all of humanity. I know that I am a very selfish being as is the nature of man. However, when I sat and reflected on the message today what resonated most with me was that as a disciple of Christ it is my job to meet the needs of his people. That means no matter how angry, frightened, or busy I am I must meet those needs. My selfishness is so apparent to me as I sit in his presence.

I hope that as you go through your week you too will realize his will for you. Be there for those who need you. Hug them, love them despite their faults, and heal them of their hurts. You are called not to be a Christian, some neat little definition that fits in a box, but you are called to be a disciple. You are called to be hands and feet. Don't make excuses for not doing it get down there on the ground and get your hands dirty!

Mathew West sings an amazing song that I believe really makes this point clear!

Right now there is a need to be met in Japan, maybe he is calling you to meet it!

No comments:

Post a Comment